Friday, June 3, 2011

So They Call THIS Retirement?

Well, it's a start!
I am not retiring from working all together.....have you seen my car, my yard, my house.....LOL (Keep your comments civil....this is a 'Family Show' you know ....giggles.) I am just leaving the employment of Merillat, well Masco Cabinetry, where I started just a little over 28 years ago. At a time when most of the 'guys' I work with now were either little ' pipsqueaks' (I know that because they are BIG 'pipsqueaks' now) or they weren't born yet...some for several years!
Though I didn't breakdown in front of the group, that last image of Chad and Jason walking me down the hallway, then opening the doors and standing there while I walked away made me 'wobbly'. My knees went weak and my elbows turned to jelly. They went back in the building, back to business as usual, but I stood with my camera equipment on the trunk of my car and fumbled to get the key in the door, unlock it, put the equipment in, and sort of fall in myself. I sat there with tears slowly rolling down my face......then I began to think...'wait a minute, you are a long way from home. Better pull yourself together and hit the road. There'll be plenty of time for sentimental blubbering once you get there!'

The quickest route was through the gate at the South entrance, so I took it and then a left turn down Dixboro to Plymouth Road. Left again and South on US23 to the Saline Exit. My plan was to stop at my Mom's on the way home. Everything was going fine until I sort of became conscience that to my immediate right was the Saline exit ramp and I was still on 23. A quick calculation and I figured I'd just take some other westerly exit on down the road a ways. I finally decided on Exit 17 to Tecumseh....M50 goes right by Mom's. Besides, I wanted to check on an anti-gravity chair at Cabela's.
Do you have any idea how far it is to exit 17? LOL, by the time I got there I was too tired to do anything BUT keep on heading home. Somehow I managed to get on down the road and stop at Mom's. Ruth, Ashley, Denver, Mom, and Phil were all there and we had a nice visit. We rehashed the party last night and are still in awe of what a nice time it was.....memories that 'roasted' me and all. Ok, so mostly my family liked the 'memories that roasted me'....that, and the food was good too!

2 comments:

Bob and Molly said...

First: I am glad that you are blogging again.
Second: I am glad that you recognize the work that needs to be done.
Third: If you would have asked me, I could have told you how far it is to exit 17.
Fourth: Is that roast recorded?

Marlys said...

1st: I'm glad you're glad.
2nd: There IS always and WILL always be lots of work to be done. (Thankfully, I don't know life any other way!)
3rd: Contacting you at a specific moment requires: a) translating time zones (which can go horribly wrong), and b) a phone that is both WITH me, AND charged (which we all know as one of my biggest short comings)!
4th: I have two of the written speeches and a 'recording' etched in my brain of the rest. (But I'll bet Grandma, Aunt Ruth, Uncle Phil, Aunt Mary, Karen and Aaron can recite most, if not all, of the 'roasting' word for word!)