Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Decision: Who Talks Like That Anyway?

I get asked that question a lot. Did you ever use a phrase or words that got you the 'she's a crazy lady' look from those you were talking with?
At work they call them "weird Marlys talk". I just 'calls 'em as I sees 'em'. Those quirky sayings you grow up with that, until you mention them in general conversation, you thought were common place.

Like 'around the sat bush'. My Grandma Richardson used to say that and it never occurred to me to ask what a 'sat bush' was.....is it a bush somebody sat on? and why are you going around it?...are you trying to figure out how to help the person sitting on the 'sat bush' or are you just 'running around like a chicken with its head cut off' (ok, they have heard of that one too, so they are not totally lacking in being educated in common, ordinary, everyday sayings.)
'Reefing on the table'. When I explained this one to the guys I work with, they made me prove that pushing down on the table when you sit down, stand up or lean you elbows on the edge is called reefing (and I did, in some obscure drilled down definition in Wikipedia...so I got the last laugh on them.....I don't know why they ever doubt me!)
'Kittywampus' and 'kittern' they had at least heard of, but weren't completely sure how to use them in a sentence....silly boys!'The people are as good as the folks'...went right over their heads (I guess it makes them think and when you're working, that's the last thing you want to do.....hey, I mean think about anything but work, of course.)
Some of the phrases I remember and like are just words, like 'johnny cake'. I liked how my Grandpa Richardson would light up when Grandma made 'johnny cake' and how we would eat it in a bowl with milk or cream. I think it was just corn bread, but doesn't 'johnny cake' sound yummy! (Maybe you had to be there....it was good!)
'In a pickle', 'upsett the apple cart', 'count your chickens before they hatch', 'go to hel 'en hunt for it' (I was grown before I figured out that Grandma wasn't swearing.....she had a friend named Helen Hunt....), 'piggy-hoggie hen coop', and on and so forth.....
Well, this ought to either get you thinking about those sayings and phrases you grew up with, find you ROFL, or giving that 'she's a crazy lady' look to your computer screen!

By the way, I will keep on using those phrases and sayings and many more because I get a kick out of their puzzled looks and head shaking reactions!

1 comment:

Bob and Molly said...

You forgot my favorite "the well broke the wagon tongue" ha, ha, I am so funny!