Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Decision: Paper or Plastic?

Not meant to be an overwhelming decision (and a moot point if I'd remembered to bring in those 'simulated go-green' bags I'd purchased on a trip to Meijer and that travel with me, in my car, everywhere I go). But I didn't remember, so I had a decision to make. Let me lay it out for you:
>boxes of cereal
>Woman's Day Magazine
>grape tomatoes, an apple, and an avocado
>24 oz bottle of Caffine Free Diet Coke, from the cooler
>Honey Chicken (Dinner from China Express, located inside the store, which you pay for at the checkout.)
Extenuating circumstances which impacted my decision:
>I'm going back to work to eat my lunch.
>When I get home, I will be transporting these groceries, my laptop bag (which is on wheels), my lunch bag, and my purse from the parking lot out front, around to the first apartment at the back of the building.
>And, I want to do that in one trip.
So, to her questions about paper or plastic, I say: 'put it all in one paper bag but use a plastic bag to keep the cold Coke from getting the magazine, and other things, wet.' I think this is pretty straight forward and that I will end up with what I ask. Well, it lost something in the translation, 'cause I walked out of there with two large paper groceries bags and a plastic bag with the magazine in it.....where did I go wrong! LOL
The Coke was in the same bag as the boxes of cereal, separated from them by the carton of grape tomatoes, the apple, and the avocado. My dinner, which comes in it's own Styrofoam container, placed in a plastic bag, placed in a lunch-size paper bag, and stapled shut, was in the bottom of the second bag while the magazine was placed in a plastic bag and slid down the side of the store printed, brown paper, big bag. Oh, where did I go wrong.....and I was expecting packing up these few groceries to be a no-brain-er!
Apparently her decision trumped mine.

1 comment:

ybus said...

ROFL...welcome to the world of blogging! great post. glad to know im not the only one who gets stuck with cashiers who DONT know how to bag groceries!

y