Monday, June 23, 2008

Decision: Up from 2000 mg to 3000 mg

Sodium intake that is. Devin was allowed 2000 mg per day when he entered the hospital but, by the time they decided to send him home, it was up to 3000 mg per day.
Have any of you ever had to count mgs? I do (but I only get 500 mg per day, so, according to Devin, 'you're lucky, you I don't have to count so high'! Cute kid....(rolling eyes)) and let me tell you there is sodium in almost everything. Especially the things that Devin likes. But here Devin is eating an apple, carrots, and drinking pomegranate-grape juice. Denver has joined the cause and is eating applesauce-peach cup, carrots, and drinking 'moke' (that's milk for those of you who haven't had him bring you the gallon to pour from)!
Another key practice to keeping Devin healthy is that he, Denver, and the whole family use the hand sanitizer. Here, while I'm taking the picture and Devin is holding his hand 'in a cup' shape, I am dispensing some to Denver. After he briefly rubbed his hands together, he wiped the rest on his shirt! While I'm sure his shirt was sanitary (ya, right!), we're gonna have to practice getting it all rubbed in before he goes to the shirt!

1 comment:

Bob and Molly said...

That picture, Denver looks so much like Mandy. Yes, I said Mandy, because that is her as a little girl.

This is healthy for all, right? I am sure that it will be a challange, but for everyone's well being, I would think that it is worth it. Of course I son't have to live in the same house, she says with a giggle.