Friday, June 20, 2008

Decision: We'll Call her Molly

A 'something' by any other name is just a 'something'.......how does that go....giggle!
I had no idea I was having a girl, but I had all sorts of names picked out.....Eric Todd, Marlin Louis, Kyle Philip, .....I have that list around here somewhere. Oh, I'm sorry, those are only names for boys (Molly, I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Forgive me (head tilted, puppy dog eyes, smiling)? I love you just the way you are!
Where was I.....girl names: I didn't feel I should use Dolly because I have a cousin named Dolly; I liked the name Jean, but not as a first name; Amanda was also in there somewhere and Erica, if Eric was a twin (turns out, both those girl names were reserved). Juanita or Wuanita after Grandma Smith, or maybe Salena Marlys after Grandma Heimerdinger and me (but at the time I'm was not sure how to spell Salina)----obviously, I am still not sure how I would have spelled it----just too many to chose from!
I even thought for a few seconds about taking the "L" from Lois and putting it with the "olly" from Dolly and calling her Lolly Ellen.....but I knew even I would end up calling her "lollipop' and I wouldn't be able to get that song out of my head!
When it came right down to it, and I was assured I was not having twins, the only names for me were Eric Todd, if a boy, and Molly Jean, if a girl.....and the winner is: Molly Jean!!!
My Grandma added "Menice" during those terrible twos, and somewhere before or after that, "Molly the Messer" was used for a while. Now they call her MJ (apparently there is an abundance of Mollys in Alaska and they are all at her school (no, not the fish (I think that is spelled mollie anyway); the female-person-adult kind of Molly).
So, here we are thirty-five years later and calling her Molly was the perfect choice! She has been a challenge and a joy, she has overcome heartache and triumphed, the choices she made have ranged from bad habits to magnificent accomplishments and she has grown into a wonderful woman. I am proud to call her daughter, friend, confidant, and ask God to bless her always, taking stock in what I learned about loving her big sister.
One daughter grew 'in my heart' and the other daughter grew 'under my heart' and as each was added to our family, it has been and will forevermore be my privilege to love (each) 'her' always.

Happy, happy birthday Molly!

6 comments:

Bob and Molly said...

Thanks mom, I was kind of having a "ruff" day. But God always sends us what we need. I firmly believe that. I didn't know the entire history behind my name. Thank you for sharing. Also, I thought Marlin Lousie was a girls name. Silly me. And thank you, thank you for not naming me Lolly. Although, I am sure that I would have loved it considering the women that I was named after, but I also love the other woman that I am named after. I love you too.

Marlys said...

I suppose you could use it as a girl name, expecially if you spell the middle name with an 'e' on the end.
But it's Louis, Grandpa's middle name.
It would be fun to see the original, handwritten list(s)- I know I have it/them somewhere!
Do you have your Baby Book...might be in there......

Bob and Molly said...

Yeah, I thought that after I posted it. I do have my baby book. I'll look, but I don't think that it is in there.

Once Upon a Farm said...

I got to the 35 years part and just about died.... when did we get THAT old....

Bob and Molly said...

I am not sure, but I did have one of my co-workers (17 year old boy) say to me "You're a young 35". Must be the costume.

Marlys said...

Molly, I'm not sure it is just the custom! LOL
The guys I work with tell me that I am 'the coolest old person' they know....and I'm sure that is not the same as saying 'you're young'!(giggle) I love these guys! (grins and chuckles, slowly shaking head)