Thursday, June 5, 2008

Decision: Life with the Check Engine Light

I paid off my car in January, and you know what happens when you pay off a vehicle.....they nickle and dime you to death!
In February, my muffler fell down during a snow storm. Then, the check engine light came on. Upon advise of one of the guys I work with, I tightened the gas cap and the light went off. I got the muffler fixed but opted not to have the scan hoping that tightening the gas cap had done the trick.
Then in early April, the moon roof started leaking during some rainy days. I took the car in again and got it sealed shut....no more leaking!
May rolled around and the check engine light came on again. This time tightening the gas cap didn't cut it so I made an appointment to get the scan and, as long as I was going to be there, the oil changed too. You guessed it, the check engine light went off again, but this time I got the scan.....it turned out not to be critical (read out says SCAN ENGINE CODE: P0441 INCORRECT EVAP PURGE FLOW...whatever the heck that is it does have to do with what's below the gas cap). Since I didn't have the extra hour and a half it takes for the investigation to see what needs to be replaced so the light will go out, I decided to live with it until I do. It's another one of those little things that make life interesting. Maybe I will just cover it with black tape and call it good......LOL

PS: This picture is of the actual Check Engine Light...go ahead print it out, tape it on your dash, and experience the real thing. After all, why should I be the only one it annoys!

4 comments:

Jordan Richardson said...

You seem to keep the laughs rolling on in!!! How do you do it?

Anonymous said...

I also live with the dreaded Engine Light:(

Marlys said...

Jordan, isn't this good stuff? LOL You know I couldn't make stuff like this up....it's real life; a laugh a minute!


Ashley, so you know exactly what I mean !!!

Anonymous said...

Yes I do. What I don't understand is...how can one little light be so annoying? It's like driving down the road with the dash on fire. Well, maybe not that bad-- but close.