Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Decision: Devin, how long does it take to walk home from school?

Don't faint, but Amanda let Devin walk home from school today! I know, I am in shock too. It was way harder on her than Devin; he thought it was cool and handeled it just like he had been doing it his entire school career....two whole years!
So, she made this decision because Denver was sleeping when it was time to leave to meet Devin. Denver hasn't been getting very good naps this week and he really needed the rest. (I would love to have been there while she was working up the courage to call the school. Of course, if I had been there, Devin would not have gotten his chance!). Other than Denver needed his nap, this is how she rationalized the situation:
>It's OK because 'they gather the walkers and bus kids together in the lobby' (little did she know that when the announcement came, Devin didn't have a clue where the lobby was!)
>It'll be OK because 'they help the walkers cross the street and make sure they are on their way safely' (because he didn't know where the lobby was, Devin went out the Recess Door and by the time he left, I am not sure there was a crossing guard present!).
>It'll be OK because 'I will wait at the corner of the building and I will be able to see him when he is half way home' (the minutes seem like hours and Devin 'lolly gags' so you can imagine that, as the time for him to be home got closer, the clock ticked louder!)
Amanda was back and forth from the apartment, checking on Denver, to the corner of the building, checking on Devin, when Denver woke up. Now it was time for some real action, but as she was getting her shoes on and putting Denver's on him, Devin came through the door.
"Where were you", Amanda anxiously asked. "You know me Mom, I 'lolly gag'" replied Devin. All was well as he told her the details about not knowing where the lobby was and crossing the street by himself. There is only one more day of school this year and Amanda had NO intention of letting him walk again. After all, that would be more than a Mom could take in one week!

PS: Picture of Devin crossing the street was taken on his way to school this morning.

5 comments:

Bob and Molly said...

Oh my goodness that was a goo laugh, I've got tears coming out of my eyes. Thank you Devin and Amanda! Good stuff. I am glad that he made it home safely. Maybe next year he'll get to try again.

Another thought, still in school, how crazy.

Marlys said...

Bob, I got the biggest kick out of hearing how much you enjoyed this post! It still makes me laugh every time I read it too! Sure is cool to be able to share these times with the two of you!

Jordan Richardson said...

I can picture the look on your face while the women was bagging your things. THis was so funny I just laughed out loud. Crazy Marlys

Marlys said...

Hey Jordan, that's crazy Aunt Marlys to you (and you have seen that look only too often, haven't you)!

Now you have me laughing out loud and totally confused, at first.
I know the page set up I chose makes it hard to tell, and I am way too long winded even when I am typing, so it is easy to lose track of where you are, but the comments go below the post not above it....or are you trying to see if I can still pay attention! Good one Jordan! (giggle)

Jordan Richardson said...

Sorry I was laughing so hard I was confused!