Saturday, June 14, 2008

Decision: Long My It Wave

Today is Flag Day. It is always June 14th and was declared so in 1916 by President Woodrow Wilson. Other than a day to honor one of the symbols of our country, which is very important to me, it reminds me of my Grandma Richardson. Not complete clear on why. I know that she displayed the flag on very special days: any day that was a Federal holiday, any day that was set aside for honoring our Military, past and present, all days like that. She put it up at Sunrise and took it down at Sunset, as I remember; and, it did not hang outside in the rain, she would hang it on the front porch. Some of that has changed, which I like. I like seeing it 24/7, as they say, because our flag represents strength, endurance, as well as freedom, that 'never give up' and 'we can do it' attitude. It reminds me of our Forefathers, and of my father, who fought, with his brothers, and his future brothers-in-law to keep our country free. Of how they came home and in later years, stood with other Legion, Mason, Eagle, Moose members to honor Her and keep the memories of their comrades-in-arms alive by honoring them in death. OK, I'm getting too teary-eyed to continue. Suffice to say, this day has always meant a great deal to me.
'Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave, o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!'

2 comments:

Bob and Molly said...

Nice photo. Just remember that sometimes you should put a disclaimer on your posts. Thank goodness for the phone or I would have gone away teary-eyed.

Marlys said...

I know what you mean; I did go away teary-eyed. But I am glad I took the time to go and take this picture. It not only shows the flag and Grandpa's Legion plaque but the geranium that Grandma planted too. Kleenex please!