Thursday, July 17, 2008

Decision: Is it REAL or is it Memorex?

For which my 'puzzler' has been working over time! It started up again when I was thinking about Denver and how he says 'I stuck' when he gets in a situation where either he is stuck or something he wants is stuck.

My questions is 'how does he know to say 'I'?. When I have heard anybody try to assist him, they always say 'are you stuck?' or 'you're not stuck!' or some other pronoun, but never 'I'. Where did he learn to say 'I'? And, we've all heard him say 'me, me, me' when he first started talking and wanted something; so why doesn't he say 'me' stuck?.

Another example of my puzzlement, several years older than Denver, is when I was teaching Denise to say 'thank you'. She was great at learning by repeating anything else I tried to teach her...'you're welcome'; 'I'd like a drink, please'; 'may I go outside', and all those things you try to teach them as needed when they are young. But, every time I would try to get her to say 'thank you' she would say 'thank me' and then get this concerned look on her face when my face became, shall we say, animated! Poor girl, I couldn't understand why she would repeat everything else I would say, but couldn't get 'thank you' correct! It seems comical now. (By-the-way, she did learn to say it correctly, as we all know! That was probably after I decided to stop bugging her about it!)

No comments: