Sunday, July 13, 2008

Decision: Bilingual - does speaking 'cat' qualify?

Fuzzy comes down from upstairs....'me-rowl' she growls a couple times. I am in the kitchen and respond to her with 'she's gone to church and then to a Wedding Shower and won't be back until late'....'it's you and me'. 'Me-rowl' again she says; 'I don't know what to tell you....I'm sorry Mom didn't ask your permission'. She proceeds to the basement door and again 'me-rowl''. 'So, what's up with you now?' I ask. 'Ok, I'll go to the basement with you but if you have food and water, you and I are going to tangle!'. She scurries down the stairs and I peg-leg it. When we get down there she is out of food and her water is down to that chokes-you-when-you-try-to-drink-level. I put some food in the bowl (enough for the cat but not enough for the mice, should they be so inclined to want to steal it), rinse out the water bowl, and fill it with fresh water.
Later, back on the main floor, again 'me-rowl'....this time she is complaining about not getting her head scratched! 'I know, you miss Philip...come here and I will scratch it for you'. She gets to just about fingertip distance from me, but no closer. So I lean over and give her head a good scratch.....'I know it's not the same but it will have to do for now. He's only halfway done with his trip'. She sprawls out on the floor afterwards and I just shake my head having realized that I carried on an either conversation with a cat! Perhaps I need to think about some other sort of social life.......

2 comments:

Bob and Molly said...

You said it sister, not me. Maybe you can call Jean and the three of you can get together. (giggle, giggle, giggle)

Marlys said...

Silly girl, Jean doesn't live here anymore....remember, I gave her to you!