Sunday, July 13, 2008

Decision: Hey Grandma, Take My Picture

After Ethan had played his PlayStation games nearly all day Saturday, Great Grandma was ready to watch the Tigers and get control of her TV back....LOL! Needless to say, that bored him and to entertain himself he started moving around on the couch, watching the game in different positions (I guess to make it more exciting!). Here are a few of his antics....unfortunately it didn't help the Tigers win :(
Most of the rest of the time he was awake he was hungry practically eating Great Grandma out of house and home. Of course, he also kept hinting that he wanted to resume playing his games but GG stuck to her guns and we watched TV the rest of the night. Then, along about 9 o'clock, Ethan went upstairs to bed. Mom and I had been discussing, off and on throughout the day, what she was going to take to Jacob and Nicole's Wedding Shower. What she really had wanted to take was an afghan she had knit, an extra long afghan. But it needed fringe and a tag and it was getting late AND the shower was tomorrow after church. No mind. She came down stairs, from putting Ethan to bed, with the afghan and a couple skeins of yarn.....one of which was the wrong color. So back up stairs to find the correct yarn. After a couple more trips she had everything ready for me to cut the fringe and her to attach it to the afghan. We laughed and teased about how much easier it would have been to have started earlier in the day....er night (it's was 10:20 PM EST by now) but then how much easier it was now without Ethan's "help". I cut, oh I don't know, about 288 eighteen inch pieces of the two yarn colors and Mom attached the fringe! After I was finished with the cutting, I went in pursuit of her tags (From the Needles of....if you have one of her afghans you have seen them...) she lead me astray as to which plastic drawer they were in but I found them anyway! Next, I tried to thread the sewing needle....'there was a needle threader, wasn't there'...she said. 'Ya, but you have to be able to actually see the eye of the needle to insert the threader'....by now it is 20 to twelve, or some such hour....we are still laughing, to keep from crying of course! Fringe is done, tag is sewn on....now to wrap it. Mom goes back up stairs to get what is needed and comes down with a bag that is like "a wash cloth when you need a bath sheet to dry off when getting out of the shower"....we laugh again. 'I know it won't fit in the bag but I thought we could use the colored tissue paper to line that box', she said....'what box'? I ask. 'The one over there in that chair' she is pointing to the left of the parlor room (living room to those who don't know what a parlor is) door. I am looking, straining my eyes to see the box but all I see is my computer bag and a couple other bags I have staged at the door. 'Well I thought it was out there'....Mom looks, it's in the rocking chair to the right....we laugh again! So, she doesn't find any wrapping paper but a roll of shinny silver and we decide that won't do. In the bottom of the wrapping paper container there are about 450 sheets of white tissue paper and I chose several sheets of it held together to wrap the box (by the way, did I tell you that the box was too small and I had to go to my car to get a bigger box to wrap it in.....see, it pays to carry all that stuff around in my car now doesn't it!) Back to wrapping, so here is this plain white box and only a couple pieces of curling ribbon in the container...they are both a shade of blue, but not the same shade and one is corrugated, the other smooth....I know, sounds beautiful doesn't it. So, I use the ribbon to make a very simple blue statement on the white box and call it good! Mom is delighted and I am ready for bed! You guessed it, too tired to sleep; Mom too but we gave it a valiant effort!
So that is how we spent last night.....and you wonder where I get 'procrastinating' from! Oh, the comedy continues as we forgot to take a picture of the finished afghan and/or the wrapped box. When Mom left for church and then on to the shower, she forgot the gift and had to come back to get it.......does anything like that ever happen to you!

7 comments:

Bob and Molly said...

I think it's more like "Ethan, let Grandma take your picture". Too bad she lost the directions on how to upload to Snapfish.

Marlys said...

Hey, you've been reading my mind again! I don't remember how to upload the pictures and even if I had directions written down, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to find them right now.

Bob and Molly said...

There's a shocker! If that is truly the only issue, it is simple and I can talk you through it on the phone. Or, have you forgotten how to burn a cd and mail it from USPS? I can walk you through that also. (hee, hee)

Erica said...

Aunt Marlys, I know what a parlor is. It's where you get your hair done.

Marlys said...

ROFL....Erica, you are such a comedian! I shouldn't be reading these comments at work (on my lunch hour of course) either Erica. The guys I work with knew I was reading my blog when I burst out laughing from your remark. And I'll bet you typed that with a straight face too!
This is one of those remarks that is going right up there with Ashley folding up in the couch. Every time I need a good laugh I go to my 'minds eye' and picture funny things I have seen or heard. Good one Erica!

Jordan Richardson said...

Wikipedia says "The 'outer parlour' was the room where the monks or nuns could receive a visitor and conduct business with outsiders."

Marlys said...

This isn't an 'outer parlor' Jordan, 'cause I was in it! LOL

How deep in the definitions did you have to dig to find that!...giggles