Friday, January 9, 2009

Decision: Aarrrrr Matey!

Well, there's good news and bad news.....
I called the doctor to tell him it wasn't any better and he sent me immediately to the emergency room (the 'immediate' part was also because of the snow storm coming). At the hospital, again, everybody who looked at it said 'oooo, that's bad'. Not exactly comforting! They asked a bunch of questions and gave me an eye test. Then, after a little consultation, they squirted goop in my eye, turned out the room lights, turned on the blacklight, and three of them in unison said: "there it is".

It turns out it's not pink eye, it's a corneal abrasion......I scratched my eye! The bad news is we were treating the wrong thing. Fortunately, no harm; no foul.

To prepare my eye for the new treatment, they had to give it a bath. I am not sure how often they do this but I lay on my back as one of them held my eye open and another poured a bottle of solution in it, as well as in my ear, down my neck, onto the bed where the back of my shirt got wet! Then, when as if I wasn't wet enough, they poured another bottle! I was so relieved at the prospect that my eye was going to get better I didn't care how wet I was getting......I just kept cracking jokes! Next came the ointment, gauze, and tape....my eye patch! I got another prescription, instructions on care when I got home, the news I had to pay $50 to get out of there.....humm. Oh ya, for good measure, they threw in a tetanus shoot (don't think I've had one in thirty years....ouch)!

So, out the door and to the car, clean it off and make a plan how I am going to drive to Meijer for the prescription and then home, in a snow storm, without the use of my right eye.......some days I am hard pressed to drive with two eyes, now I am using only one.
I managed just fine, well except for the depth perception thing......I was just really careful how close I got to anything! Called my boss to let him know what the results were and that I could work from 6 PM to midnight to finish my shift. I will leave it on the rest of the night, take it off in the morning, continue with the antibiotic but use the new drops. Then goop up my eye, patch it, and wear it to bed tomorrow night. I will keep doing that until the ointment is gone.

2 comments:

Bob and Molly said...

I am so glad you don't have to have brain surgery! The dr had to tell you that so you would take care of yourself, since you don't listen to me!!!

Once Upon a Farm said...

You are a pirate..... :)